Interior designing and decoration of house is name of creativity and your personal taste / choice of design and it has nothing to do with how much money you spend or how much time you waste while decorating your house.
If you spend a little money, you save your precious minutes, and if you have plenty of time, go and decorate your house by yourself.
Here we will describe 10 essential things to decorate your Living Room Interior.
Explanation: As we know, every house layout or map is different from another – so keep one thing in mind, you may or may not be needed to follow everything described in this article as this article is based upon formula of what-looks-where-best equation. Furthermore, these tips are for small and medium size houses (US, English and some modern Asian houses)
- Living Room Entrance Area: Entrance to your living room may be different and might be from different angles and positions according to your house map, keep one thing in mind, keep the entrance-way clear and clear, simple and open, as it reflects the interior of the whole house.
- First Impression: First impression when entering to the living room is essential and guests can easily be impressed in a glance and it only happens when you did something WOWW!!! means different – totally different or something extra luxury. In simple words, hang a painting on the front wall of your Living Room that’s visible from the entrance to the Living Room or place a console table with couple of luxurious or classic flower vases – it affects the first impression of your living room interior.
- Paint or Wallpaper? What you choose, paint or wallpaper for the interior walls of your living room? It all depends upon your choice and budget. Because sometimes you estimate and sometimes you over your fixed budget when it comes to make a decision whether to apply paint or wallpaper on the walls. As wallpaper is expensive and not very durable if you compromised on quality or you hire some non-professional to fix it for you, you definitely wasted your money and you will comeback again one day to apply paint on the walls – and it will cost you almost double of your fixed budget. But keep in mind, some wallpapers (high quality only) are coming in textures that aren’t possible to be created by hand or by machine in paint on your walls. Painting on the other hand, is now a days coming also in different kind of textures and shiny small dots mixed in the paint – and some top quality paints I witnessed, gives your walls a look like a car-paint gives a car a super look.
- Flooring: The floor material including carpet or a rug and it’s color is ultimately affects the whole interior of a house. Let’s describe both one by one; 1). The floor material you choose must be friendly to the environment you live in. For example in places where temperatures mostly remains in high, people tend to fix Marble tiles in the floor. Marble tiles gets cool very quickly even in normal interior temperatures, compare to Wooden parquet floor material which is indeed a good heat resistor but took time to gets cool in normal interior temperatures. Color of the material is second important thing. You should select some relevant type of color that suites your desired color theme. Most people like White color furniture (or it’s fabric) with slight darker-brown color wooden parquet flooring but it depends all about your surroundings and environment. 2). Second important thing as we said earlier, is the carpet you choose for the floor. As a designer, I prefer a furry-rug (long hair carpet) in white color on wooden parquet floor or hand-made carpet (Iranian or Turkish in my opinion) for White or Beige color Marble tiles. Size of the carpet depends upon the size of the center table in your living hall or living area.
- Interior Lighting: Choosing right combination of lighting is something very necessary for your home interiors, doesn’t matter if it’s Living room, Kitchen or Bedroom. When it comes to choose correct intensity or amount of light chandelier or any other type of light, keep in mind the wall colour you have already applied and or color of wallpaper. Reason of choosing correct intensity light is because it won’t distract your eyes. Another important thing is placement of light. Most of the designs have chandelier in the ceiling other places where we install decoration wall lights with fixtures and we place decorative wall lights in center of the wall most of the times. In day-time, make sure natural light comes inside and light-up your interior. In most places, where UV index remains high or very high, people tend to put curtains on the windows to minimize the natural sun-light travel through. So whether it’s natural or artificial, the lighting plays very important role in beautification of your overall interior look.
- DECORATIVE ITEMS: Placement of decorative items on the walls somewhere it brightens the walls. If your walls are so luxurious and elegant to watch and need no decorative items such as photo frames etc to hang on it, try to place a decorative console table and place some jars or ceramics vase on top of it or hang a mirror frame or photo frame on top of it. That’s something very classic and luxurious. In modern design, and small interiors, new trend is to paint different color geometrical shapes on the walls, and yes it looks bright and vivid in small sitting areas.
- Furniture: Furniture and it’s placement is crucial thing in terms of setting up the layout of your living room interior. Also, furniture gives your interior a relevant look and feel. For example, in modern interior setup if you place some unique, luxurious or classic furniture it will suddenly change the overall look of your sitting place. Second important thing is furniture color, for example in a sitting place where you gives a chance to natural light to travel in, you can place white fabric cushions and it brighten the scene. For living rooms with more dark-ish interior feel, we choose a bit dark brown leather cushions. A part from the cushions or sitting layout and it’s design, other furniture like center table, a coffee table or a console table is part of your furniture design. A round coffee table with glass top, and wooden body, perfect choice for almost every kind of sitting place but for a luxurious living room, furniture matters most. And it’s material affects the overall theme. Just imagine if you place a golden reflective stainless steel center table and a console table with some wooden-body sofa or cushion, it’s something irrelevant and doesn’t feel good. So try to choose a set of furniture that’s clear and simple because it will easily match to almost every type of interior look if you are planning to change your living room interior after every few months or even after a year.
- Curtains on the Windows: As we mentioned above, windows in a sitting place is main source of natural light to travel in. Curtains on the windows is for both in the interior design and source of minimizing the UV of the light when it travels in. So try to choose curtains that matches your furniture design or if not, bring white color curtains, it matches almost every type of interior look.
- TV Wall Decoration: Every living room or sitting area must have a TV. That can be placed on a wall or most of the time people place it on a custom made table. Placement of TV on the wall is a good idea but without proper designing, or some concealed LED lighting, TV wall isn’t complete. There are different kind of interior looks for example, some modern designs has LED lighting the Ceiling and others has plain Gypsum ceiling with some corner decorative Gypsum flowers. So relatively, the TV wall must be the same, if the ceiling is classic and we place some lighting to TV wall, that’s obvious. So keep the TV wall design relative to your Ceiling and walls design, including paint or wallpaper or either LED lighting.
- Ceiling Design: In old English decorative interiors, we found hand-made decorative flowers in the ceiling corners made of white Gypsum or cement. With a central decorative flower for chandelier in the ceiling, including. In modern Arabic Palaces, so many things been changed, for example the color theme, fabric and decoration in the ceiling and walls. I have worked and been involved in many Arabic residential interior designing since many years, and I have noticed one thing that they mainly focus on their interior look without accepting any major change to it’s exterior look. And that’s mainly because of high temperature in the summer and lack of rains in the end of it. Arabic living rooms or sitting halls are separate for ladies and for gents in almost every villa. So the interior look obviously is different for both the genders. But one thing remains common, if it’s classic Interior design, they accept only Gypsum molding frames with some decorative flower designs in the corner, on the walls all around. And so in the ceiling, some white Gypsum moldings with Gypsum cornice in the Ceiling, all around the walls. Besides that, in modern houses, ceilings are brighten with some LED strips that concealed inside ceiling with Gypsum box and LED spotlights. And let me add one point here, in both Modern and Classic designs, they have one thing common and it’s Bulkhead for HVAC in the ceiling and LED spotlights in it.